April 2020 Exam – ACER Advice on Coronavirus COVID-19
ACER takes the health and wellbeing of all the people we interact with seriously. Many of our tests bring together large groups of people and some candidates travel from overseas locations. These factors present potential risks following the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19). ACER recognises that we have a duty of care to candidates and also need to support attempts to limit the spread of the virus. ACER is actively responding to these risks and all actions that we are taking are being guided by publicly available information from the Australian Government’s Department of Health and similar agencies in other countries.
The outbreak is an evolving situation and advice to candidates will be regularly updated in the coming days and weeks. As a pandemic has now been declared by the World Health Organisation, the Australian government may require large gatherings to be cancelled. If this is the case and ACER is required to cancel a test, participant fees for cancelled events will be refunded and/or the event will be offered at an alternative time, as may be appropriate.
Please note: it is planned that there will be four more sittings of the Financial Adviser Exam this year. Exact dates for all cycles are yet to be finalised but sittings are scheduled for: June, August, October and November/December (with the month of the final sitting to be confirmed).
Candidates should be aware that decisions to cancel an exam may be “last minute”. If there is a need for any change to the scheduled exam we will advise directly by email. Please ensure the email listed on your candidate account is up to date.
At this point the Financial Adviser Exams scheduled from Thursday 2 April through to Tuesday 7 April will proceed in all locations. Candidates will be advised immediately if a decision by ACER or the Australian Government changes this status. We will continue to monitor the global situation and take appropriate management steps within each location where the Financial Adviser Exam is being run.
ACER and the FA Exam Team advise candidates to please note the key points below before attending on the exam date:
- Any candidate who has been overseas or is a member of a household which has a confirmed case or has flu like symptoms should not attend a test centre until they have self-quarantined for 14 days
- Please do not attend an exam if you are within this self-quarantine isolation period
- If you do not wish to attend, the FA Exam Team will provide you with a refund or deferral to a future exam cycle
- If you present on the exam day and complete the registration process but decide to leave the exam venue you are not entitled to apply for a refund
- Seating at the exam venues will be allocated randomly and we will not be moving candidates on request
- Candidates are permitted to sit the exam wearing protective masks (you will need to remove this for ID purposes at registration).
Precautions the FA Exam team are taking at the exam venues:
- Supervising staff have also been informed not to work if they have recently been to China (including Hong Kong), South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Iran and Italy plus other affected countries
- Staff will be provided with sanitising products and gloves
- Alcohol disinfectant wipes will be available at all venues for candidate use
- Candidates will be requested to present their Admission Tickets and ID by holding them up for supervising staff at registration, avoiding contact with hands and furniture
- Candidates are advised to ensure they practice good hygiene, by washing their hands regularly and limiting physical contact with others
The Financial Adviser Standards and Ethics Authority Limited was established in 2017 to set the education, training and ethical standards of financial advisers in Australia.